- Retainers keep your smile from changing positions. Wear them full time until the doctor instructs otherwise.
- Take your retainers out when eating, and always put them in the case! (Most appliances are lost in school lunch rooms or restaurants.)
- Clean them thoroughly once a day with a toothbrush and toothpaste. Use warm but not hot water. Brushing removes the plaque and eliminates odors. Efferdent® or other orthodontic appliance cleaners can be used but do not take the place of brushing.
- Place them in a case when they are not in your mouth—ALWAYS! Pets love to chew on them!
- Practice speaking, reading, or singing out loud to get used to them faster if you initially find it difficult to speak.
- Treat them with care—they are breakable. If you lose or break yours, call us immediately.
- Call us if you have any questions or concerns or if they need adjusting. Do not try to adjust them yourself.
- Bring them to every appointment.
- Care for them properly, and they will last for years! Replacement is expensive.
- Remove them when swimming.
- Keep them away from hot water, hot car dashboards, pockets, the washing machine, and napkins.